Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Earth, Water & Fire

So, you know those burros we saw in the field of bluebonnets , well this one couldn't help himself and started chewing on the fencepost. Nice teeth.We drove over to the town of Gruene, pronounce 'green', yesterday which is just above the Guadalupe River. Because of all the rain we've had the river is quite full. I particularly like this river and we are told it has trout which is exciting to us. When it drops a little we plan to fish it with our boats!
We stopped in San Marcos for dinner at a really nice restaurant and afterwords were giving the dogs a little walk before driving home when 2 deputy cars went racing through town with sirens and lights ablaze.... Bill and I thought 'well big woop'. Nothing better to do tonight I guess. But as we left our parking spot lots of billowing black smoke caught my eye in the rear view mirror and I said, 'Fire'. We tracked down the smoke along with half the town and saw quite a blaze. Scene control is not their strong point around here and we were able to not only drive right through the middle of the scene, with half the town in tow or in front, but park and hang out. It was an event, it was not boring and it was the first time I have chased a fire since Dad used to wake up in the night to sirens and if you were fast enough getting out of bed he'd take you with him. I saw a big movie theatre burn down once in Maryland. Anyway...
The building used to be the town' s hospital and was abandoned as far as we know.
Now Bill and I know a little about firefighting and Bill happened to notice this kink in the fire hose so he stopped a firefighter and pointed out the debacle. Apparently the fireman was in a bit of a hurry and so was the next guy he told but Bill got a pretty good grip on the 3rd fireman he stopped and this guy listened or gave lip service. We're not sure.
Always spontaneous and cool under duress, Bill did his best to manage the fire scene. Where were you Wayne?
Cheers! Karen and Bill

1 Comments:

Blogger Mim said...

Great story, Karen! I don't remember ever going fire chasing with Dad. I didn't know that about him. I do remember Anna freaking out when fire engines raced past the 60 Hodge Road house. At least, I think that was her and not Lunn.

So did they finally get the kink out of the hose?

The river looks like great potential for a beautiful ride.

April 13, 2007 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home