Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Davis Mts. State Park, March 2010

Well, it's the end of the day on March 31 and I'm at the public library in Fort Davis trying to catch up on postings for this blog. We don't have a phone signal in the campground in the park so thank goodness for public libraries. They really give you a taste of the area. At the time I am here kids came pouring in the door for an after school program here and it's been noisy but interesting. Years of child rearing have made it easier to ignore chaos when necessary. I've been hiking 3 of the 4 days we've been here and all the following views are from those hikes. It's gorgeous around here, elevation about 5000 ft at our campsite and both of us are breathless at times as we were at other places like Ft. Huachuca.

In this picture you can just see the Lodge that was built by the CCC in the 1930's. It's really nice hotel with a restaurant and a great view of the valley and mountains.

Our white camper is just below and to the left of the stalk of grass waving in the picture. There's no other camper above us and we have a great view.
The other night Bill woke up and for some reason looked out the window and because of the full moon was able to see a group of Javelinas wandering through our camping area. When we woke up the next morning they were still there and were passing behind us looking for ..whatever.
These creatures can be far from peaceful and the park warns about their ability to be unpredictable and aggressive. They will attack people and pets so we took no chances. But as I photographed from our camper steps they did nothing but sniff around.



We leave here tomorrow for a short stay in Marathon, TX and a visit to a favorite restaurant in that town, the Gage Hotel. More later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Maia said...

Hi Karen,
I love the picture of your dog having a horse back ride. Go Mango!
After you left Santa Fe we had so much snow! The last piles of snow are melting and will finally be gone tomorrow---and snow is forecast for tomorrow night...
Thank you for sending the photos; they are nice to have and I sent some to Steve and Dan's mom, who is suffering in the hospital right now.
I have some other friends who were at the Desert Museum in Arizona the same time-ish that you were there.
Have fun on the road and happy springtime, with love,
Maia

March 31, 2010 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home